Sunday, August 31, 2008

Want Some Mo'? Gimme Some Mo'!


All right - that was supposed to be funny. You know what's not funny? Studying all the freakin' time. When I take a break I feel guilty, because I know I need to be studying. When I'm studying and my brain turns into static in-between-stations fuzz, I feel guilty, because I am not the smartiest pants. My pants are going to get bigger if I don't get off my bum and start working out more!

So we were lectured on "balance." I understand that I need to close the books and forget about it sometimes, but it's so hard when I know the tests are creeping up, and the assignments are piling up. . .I've heard that shrugging the shoulders, saying something obscene, and walking away gets easier as the quarters go on, and on, and on. . .

However, despite my lack of focus and my heightened sense of dread at the impending exams, etc., I am having a wonderful time learning. The greatest word so far? Syncytiotrophoblast. Isn't that pretty. Say it again. Oh yeah!

Our first day of dissection was last Friday. I loved it times 10. It was extremely fascinating and absolutely exhausting. We, like several others, have an obese cadaver, and though I am endlessly grateful to this person for giving me an irreplaceable gift, it's a lot of work to get down to muscle. No doubt, it's a much better learning experience to go layer by layer, cut by cut, to learn anatomy. I hate the idea of prosection (where it's already done). Yes, dissection takes a huge amount of time, but I think it's absolutely necessary. Each body is different, and actually seeing it and discovering it is the best way to learn - in my not-so-humble opinion.

And now - tis time to spend some precious time with my husband. I think a little wine and relaxation will do a body good.

No comments: