Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mercury and Vaccines


Today was a very mixed day. I failed my first exam - totally my own doing. I didn't study. So, I will be mending my ways. I'm not too upset. I just need to remember in the future that no medical school class is a blow-off class.

Also, today I participated in giving free health screenings to the under served. I was part of the blood pressure crew. I learned how to do it, and then I did several. It was just so gratifying to do something clinical - to work with people instead of sitting at my desk and studying. The participants were all very nice. I can see why a physician would choose to help the under served - it's a much different population. They were all very grateful and really seemed to want to take ownership of their health. Nobody came in with "yuppie disease." You know - "I'm allergic to soy, and my son has ADHD and Asperger's." Did you read in the news - people are pissed about chelating treatment for Autism being cancelled. That's where a chelating (tight binding) agent is administered into the bloodstream, in this case to sequester (grab) mercury molecules, because these people are convinced that vaccines containing mercury (more about that in a moment) "gave" their kids Autism. More likely - it's caused by excess opioids in the brain due to something vital missing - probably from a genetic mutation. This is similar, in my opinion, to Adrenoleukodystrophy - where one can't process certain long chain fatty acids correctly, and it causes all kinds of problems.

Some vaccines contain a mercury (thiomersal) compound. This is okay, because it is broken down in the body and eliminated in a maximum of 120 days. Small doses of mercury aren't going to harm a person. Remember when you played with an old broken mercury thermometer? You're okay, right? However, a fungal infection from the vaccine would kill a person. Additionally, you wouldn't think twice about using this compound if bitten by certain spiders or snakes. There are dying people who would love to have had these vaccines. People are ridiculous.

Anyway, I need to get back to biochemistry. You know, I'm sure glad not to have diphtheria (see photo - get your kid vaccinated!)

1 comment:

Tea N. Crumpet said...

I live in Alaska. I have met people who have relatives who've died of these diseases. They suck! I also know women who are paranoid of the vaccines.

I was worried about the mercury levels being safe for babies because I also knew of someone who'd been accused of poisoning their baby with mercury. I just waited an extra year to get them their vaccines. No big deal.

I think that chicken pox is silly-- statistically speaking, it's really low to get a problem with it. (When my elder daughters had it they called it chicken chops"!) I still let them get the vaccine.